Homemade USB gamepad (NeoPlay)

Laszlo KREKACS laszlo.krekacs.list at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 18:56:09 CET 2009

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 3:54 PM, ANT <ant007h at gmail.com> wrote:

> Laszlo KREKACS wrote:
>>I think the full screen issues is just some temporary xfce issue.
>
> Actually I just switched LCD to QVGA mode, not XFCE itself.
>
>>Btw, if you are interested having a 3D case, just shoot me an email
>
> Sure, I'm interested in that. But it is needed to design a CAD model. I may
> try to make one if I have enough spare time. Then I'll email you. Or you may
> help with designing too?

Im a beginner too (in CAD modelling). I imagine the workflow something
like this:
you model it, I print it. Then I post pictures of the print, how is it
looks like on the
freerunner, where are the design faults, and printing faults.
Then we fix it, and print again. And again, and again.

As far as modelling is concerned, this is the open source toolbox:
- blender
- openscad
- qcad
- inkscape

Inkscape is great for the logo for example (import it into blender,
extrude it, etc).
qcad +openscad is great for accurate modelling. qcad for 2d, openscad for
3d (extruding 2d, boolean it, etc).

> I assume you meant a separate case for gamepad addon, but it also would be
> great (as arne anka said) to have a full replacement gaming case for
> Freerunner, or at least a LCD cover with integrated buttons.

As arne have asked too, I own a reprap machine. So there are some limitations,
namely:
- the printing process is achieved layer-by-layer printing. About 0.5mm layers,
so you can feel them with your nail. At least 2 layers required to
really bond together.
- some postprocessing is required, polishing the plastic, to get rid
of the layers,
and have a better look
- no overhangs less then 45 degree. (ie. I cant print a standing
letter T because,
there is nothing under the top part of the T. Or the roof of the
house. (ie. four walls
plus the roof).

So summing up, we need at least 2mm thickness. So printing out the original
case is impossible, because it has less then 1mm of wall thickness.

But for prototyping, or having a gamepad, what you posted does not impose
such a strict limitation. So nobody really care if it is 3mm or 5mm thick.

Here is a picture to get an idea about printing quality (I printed an
iphone docking
station for my friend):
http://sites.google.com/site/laszlokrekacs/reprap/iphone2_k.jpg

Btw I also plan to design a docking station. Anyone interested to
collaborating?;-)

>>and I can print you one if you are in EU. (im sure we can figure out
>>how to ship to worldwide)
> I'm not in EU.

Ok we arrange it somehow.

>>(or having electrical board in return;-)
>
> Of course ;)
Great!

Best regards,
 Laszlo