[WikiReader] Battery Life

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Sun Dec 13 18:50:24 CET 2009

On Saturday 12 December 2009, David Garabana Barro wrote:
> O Sábado, 12 de Decembro de 2009, Jeff escribiu:
> > Alkaline, the original energizer batteries that came with the device. I
> > may have some NiMH batteries lying around somewhere, but I don't have
> > any AAA lithium polymer nor a suitable charger.
>
> NiMH will be even worse.
> They autodischarge 5-10% on first day, and 1% every next day...

That depends on the NiMH. Several manufacturers are now making them with very
low self discharge (~5%/month). They work very well in applications where I
previously stuck to alkalines, such as my Psion 5 which probably has a lot in
common with the wikireader.

I would also suggest trying a different brand of alkalines. The discharge
voltage characteristic varies significantly between brands, and some devices
stop working with the battery at a relatively high voltage. The Psion often
works well with alkalines that other devices claim are dead. Even when the
Psion has finished with them, they can be recharged with a suitable charger.