dbus deb with increased timeout

Neil Jerram neiljerram at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 15 08:35:04 CET 2009

2009/12/14 arne anka <openmoko at ginguppin.de>:

> not afaik.
> a normal per call or startup option would have been my first choice, but
>  from everything i could gather, there's no way to do that.
> i'd expected the patch mentioned to add exactly that kind of option, but
> it turned out to add only a build time option.

OK, thanks.

> but yesterday the phone (or maybe only zhone) lost connection to the
> network which made me miss an appointment and several calls (once a year
> people call ...).
> in a hurry i restarted the whole phone but zhone was showing exactly the
> same issues again :-(

I think the main problem here is not dbus request timeout.  When ogsmd
is still starting up, dbus calls to it - i.e. the antenna power and
authentication status calls - actually complete very quickly with a
"device is not enabled" error.  If the antenna power call fails like
this, zhone decides to try reading the authentication status.  If the
auth status call fails, zhone does nothing ever after.  So if you're
unlucky with timing, you can easily reach a situation where GSM is not
up and nothing else ever happens.

For me the attached zhone patches fix this.  They change the GSM
startup sequence so that authentication is handled before switching on
the antenna, and add retrying in the case where the auth call fails.

(Another detail in the zhone GSM startup sequence is that it assumes
that if the SetAntennaPower call fails, it may be because a SIM PIN is
needed.  But this complicates the retry logic, and it seems plausible
to me to handle any authentication first.)

A big caveat is that I don't have SIM authentication and so haven't
been able to test if the auth/antenna swapping really works.  If
someone with a PIN could do that, it would be great.

Regards,
       Neil