Least-hassle method of getting a usable Web browser + telephony support while GPRS is enabled?

Adam Jimerson vendion at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 05:38:18 CET 2009

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 9:24 PM, Al Johnson
<openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk>wrote:

> On Thursday 17 December 2009, Brolin Empey wrote:
> > Hello list,
> >
> > I am using QtMoko v14.  AFAIK, QtMoko does not support GSM multiplexing,
> > which means even if I had a working and usable Web browser for QtMoko, I
> > could not use telephony functionality, such as making and receiving phone
> > calls, while GPRS is enabled.  If I wanted to have Internet access on my
> > FreeRunner, what is the least-hassle method of getting a usable Web
> browser
> > + telephony and SMS support while GPRS is enabled?  Am I better off
> finding
> > a usable proprietary phone?
>
> Since you've already got the phone you may as well give the other firmware
> options a try. We keep finding people have different definitions of
> 'usable'
> so you'll have to see what suits you.
>
> SHR should be easy to try, and is supposed to do everything you want.
> There's
> a GUI for the GPRS config. It has multiplexing so GPRS, SMS and telephony
> should work together (I say should as I haven't tried GPRS recently.)
> Midori
> might be a suitable browser, although there is a problematic interaction
> between the illume keyboard and midori's address autocompletion at the
> moment.

There are other browsers in the SHR feeds so if you don't like Midori you
can replace it, some worth mentioning is  Eve, Links/Links-x11, Dillo use to
be in the feeds but don't know why the one from opkg.org wouldn't work.

Debian or hackable:1 may be worth a try too. They have a wider selection of