Freerunner gone...

Ivan Perez ivan.perez at keera.es
Thu Dec 17 13:17:57 CET 2009

There are many techniques to make a phone "know" whether you
are the person using it, and many things that can be done in that case.
I see two possible orthogonal courses of action:

* Add stuff to know whether the user is the owner:
 - It could ask you a password from time to time, or  when the phone
"brought to life from suspension", and do something if you fail to
provide the right password too many times.
 - Since locking a stolen sim is quite easy, changing the sim could
 be a symptom of a stolen phone.
 - In a more ideal world, it could "listen" to you and play the voice
identification
 card.
 - Also in a more ideal world, it could probably measure the length of your step
 when you walk.

* Act if the user is not the owner.
 - Gather data to ID the user and locate the phone (GPS coordinates,
current sim card
data, whatever).
 - Send it to you (by SMS, email, whatever) silently, or publicly post it on
 some website: "Hi, my name is FR, and I've lost my friend Jimmy. I'm currently
being held up in XXX. Help me Openmoko Community, you're my only hope".
 - Record it somewhere in the phone (so that it cannot be easily removed).
 - Disturb you as much as possible: lock the phone completely or show
 a big sign with the word "stolen!", play a sound aloud,
 add fake SMSs from (possibly) fake mistresses; download illegal porn from the
 internet (and play it fullscreen); play strange sounds in the middle
of conversations.
 Invert the screen every now and then; call erotic services
periodically after you put
 the phone in silence mode, with the speaker on; call "bomb!" really loud
 when set if "airplane"  mode; turn the vibrator on (permanently, or
even better,
 randomly); wake you up in the middle of the night and when the phone is moved,
 say "Sorry, did I wake you up? I wouldn't if you gave me back my
f***cking phone!"
 - Send stuff to your contacts: like "Sorry, life is just too awful. I
can't go on. Last night
 I even stole a phone!".
 - Register a twitter account, and publish everything the user does,
where he goes, etc.

Just to name a few... :)

It's a pity it doesn't have a camera, that would have been soooo awesome.

Cheerio.
Ivan