Least-hassle method of getting a usable Web browser + telephony support while GPRS is enabled?

Brolin Empey brolin at brolin.be
Thu Dec 17 22:45:23 CET 2009

2009/12/17 Al Johnson <openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk>

> On Thursday 17 December 2009, Brolin Empey wrote:
> > 2009/12/16 Al Johnson <openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk>
> >
> > > On Thursday 17 December 2009, Brolin Empey wrote:
> > FreeRunner, Om2009 (completely unusable because the GUI kept becoming
> > unresponsive), SHR-U (version 080808 or 090808?  I can find out which
> > version I tried when I am home tonight.
>
> That's a long way out of date!

It was the current release when I tried it in 2009-08, soon after I got my
FreeRunner.

> >  I had the base or tiny version of
> >  SHR (I forgot what it was called, but I can find out when I am at home
> >  tonight.), which had very few apps, but I could not upgrade to the full
> >  version because I did not have a usable ssh connection.), and finally
> >  QtMoko, which still has issues but is by far the most usable distro I
> have
> >  tried.  I could try SHR again, but my first impression of SHR was very
> >  poor because I do not understand how they could release such a broken
> >  image.
>
> shr-unstable is just that, and breakages happen. The images are just
> nightly
> builds that have nominally succeeded, not a release that's supposed to be
> bug-
> free. The recently released shr-testing is intended to avoid the sort of
> failures you can get in unstable, but it takes a little while for bug fixes
> trickle down from unstable.

I was expecting SHR-unstable to be like Debian Linux unstable, which is
actually not unstable in the sense of having lots of breakage.

I thought the image I tried was recommended because it was supposed to work
well (had been tested), but I could be wrong.  I should have asked if there
was a better (less broken) image I could have tried.

> >  If I try another distro, it has to be able to install to and run
> >  from a MicroSD(HC) card because I need to keep my working QtMoko
> >  installation in my onboard NAND.
>
> I'm running shr-u (among others) from uSD. Just make an ext3 filesystem on
> spare partition and untar the tar.gz image to it. I assume you know how to
> multiboot already...

I have not multibooted my FreeRunner because so far I have run only 1 distro
at a time from the onboard NAND, but I can probably figure out how to
multiboot because I have multibooted PCs + my iPod + maybe some other
devices I am forgetting. :)