Fwd: [Shr-User] SHR-testing upgrade. PLEASE READ BEFORE UPGRADING

Thomas Zimmermann ml at vdm-design.de
Tue Dec 22 19:34:04 CET 2009

Betreff: [Shr-User] SHR-testing upgrade. PLEASE READ BEFORE UPGRADING
Datum: Dienstag 22 Dezember 2009
Von: Sebastian Spaeth <Sebastian at sspaeth.de>
An: "SHR-user" <shr-user at lists.shr-project.org>, "SHR-devel" <shr-
devel at lists.shr-project.org>

I just pushed an update to the shr-testing repository. How to upgrade
and what has changed?

Make big upgrades work
This upgrade will unfortunately require manual attention. Why? opkg
downloads all upgrades to /tmp (which is in RAM), so for big upgrades
your RAM will be full even before it starts upgrading.

There are 2 solutions for this:

    1. Only install one package at a time, calling opkg multiple time.
This is quite easy and described here:
http://trac.shr-project.org/trac/wiki/opkg#Installonepackageatatime
    2. Create a swap file that allows to swap out the downloads on the
SD card. I recommend this anyway:
http://trac.shr-project.org/trac/wiki/swap#Createaswapfile. If you are
afraid that your SD card will die soon because of this, I don't think so
and they are cheap anyway, so if you need to buy a new one every 2
years, what the heck.

Remove SHR-TODAY
Before starting the upgrade do "opkg remove -force-depends shr-today".
Opkg *should* be removing this automatically, however according to some
reports opkg failed to do so (due to opkg stupidness), and keeping
shr-today seems to cause weird lockups. So get rid of it in advance.

Safety tipp: screen session
- Do run this upgrade (as in every upgrade) in a screen session. My FR
display froze during the upgrade (access through ssh still worked)
- It's a big upgrade unfortunately which takes some time. All kernel
modules and all the efl stuff seems to have been bumped.

What is new:
- Plenty of changes to the shr phone apps...
- Dimming is now done with a  dim phase rather than the simple on/off.
Timeouts can be set for the Idle and Idle_dim timeouts. To make these
changes persistent, modify the values in /etc/frameworkd.conf
- python-based shr-today is no more. It is now rewritten in C and
integrated into the shr UI. It's reportedly faster than the old lock screen.

Bugs that I have seen:
- The new idle screen does not show the signal strength for me
- During the opkg upgrade process my phone suspended and this aborted
the upgrading.... Annoying, I know. I now tap on the screen while
updating which is pretty silly but.... Of course, what you should be
doing is to automatically request the CPU resource while running updates
using this technique:
http://trac.shr-project.org/trac/wiki/opkg#Preventsuspendwhileupgrading

To sum it up: if you see mysterious screen hangs, you have still
shr-today installed and/or running.