reliable wifi gui for SHR

Christian Rüb christian.rueb at gmx.net
Wed Dec 23 16:29:30 CET 2009

On Wednesday, 23. December 2009 16:12:36 Iain B. Findleton wrote:
> My biggest problem with SHR is the settings dialog appears to be largely
> non-functional for most things I try to do. Info on how to control the
> state of the WiFi radio without using the settings application would be
> a big help to me.
>
> I am not much of a python person, but just being able to find the
> scripts for the settings modules would probably help. Any info?
>
> Christian Rüb wrote:
> > On Wednesday, 23. December 2009 15:05:05 Michal Brzozowski wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> What's the most reliable wifi utility nowadays on SHR? I tried mokonnect,
> >> but it can't see any networks, although 'iwlist scan' shows them properly.
> >> Is there any other tool that will let me:
> >> -select a hotspot
> >> -type the password
> >> -connect
> >> -disconnect and turn off wifi (in such a way that the battery isn't
> >> drained).
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >> Michal
> >>

> > Hi,
> >
> > wpa-gui - http://hostap.epitest.fi/wpa_supplicant/
> >
> > I use wpa_supplicant roaming mode and deactivated eth0 for conman. WiFi config is saved in wpa_supplicant.conf and can be edited via wpa-gui from wpa_supplicant project. You can find my bitbake recipe for wpa-gui here [1] and a package here [2]. There are also my changed files in wpa-roaming.tar and and a README in [2]. I have been using this setup for months now with connections to WPA(2) PSK, WEP and unencrypted networks with dhcp and static IP.
> >
> > You then just need to switch WiFi on and off in SHR settings then udev and wpa_supplicant will do the rest :)
> >
> > Cheers,
> >  Christian
> >
> > [1] http://git.senfdax.de/?p=oe_recipes;a=tree;f=wpa-supplicant;h=bb7d494f16e6edff316775cef1d3b1a8ad3c6f90;hb=HEAD
> > [2] http://openmoko.senfdax.de/shr-new-unstable/

simply use mdbus and dbus calls to set the resource policy for wifi [1] or if you want it cleaner, you write an app that requests the resource and releases it when no longer needed.

should be something like this:
mdbus -s org.freesmarthone.ousaged /org/freesmartphone/Usage org.freesmartphone.Usage.SetResourcePolicy WiFi enabled

Cheers,
 Christian

[1] http://git.freesmartphone.org/?p=specs.git;a=blob_plain;f=html/index.html;hb=HEAD