Quick e-mail poll: Still using your Freerunner?

Laszlo KREKACS laszlo.krekacs.list at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 23:13:53 CET 2009

> "Risto H. Kurppa" <risto at kurppa.fi> writes:
>> Do you use FR as your daily/primary phone?
Still yes.

>> Do you use FR as your primary PDA?

Define PDA. I use it uniquely for listening music with lyrics, and my
own developed dictionary.

>> What distribution you run most of the time?

SHR-U from september.

I learned the caveats. I use my modified paroli too. It has bugs,
problems, but I know almost all of them.
If it starts with "cant init wifi service", I will not able to pick up
the incoming call for example.
The above bug I figured out in 2 months (why dont appear the incoming
call screen in paroli).

So there are bugs like this, but as I know all of them (never hang up
the same time as the other party, because paroli/fso just freezes), I
can workaround all of them.

> If you don't use FR as your daily phone/PDA, what phone did you change
> over to, and why?

I began seriously thinking to switching back to a normal phone. The
audio quality is unreliable and poor.

> The largest issue currently is sound quality during call. I have
> managed to get rid of buzz and echo but sometimes people complain that
> they can't hear what I am saying and sometimes the sound is amplified
> so much that it gets distorted. I have not been able to identify why
> this behavior seems to change.

My biggest issue too. It never really worked. I have awesome quality
with Motorola old Razor
phone (my gf has it), almost never have any issue (buzz, echo, etc)
and she is at the
same provider.

But for example with almost all Samsung phone, they can hardly understand me.
I have also problem with Nokia 6300, sometime my voice get chopped,
and the other party
too. So I hear from 1 sec only half sec, then nothing, another half
second, then nothing.
If I speak slooowly the other party can understand me. But I pretty
often need to guess what the
other party wanted to say.

Also I have problem with people who have different provider then me
(pannon vs. vodafone)

What is worst, it has a serious social impact. There are people, who
simply refuse to call me,
because, my phone is "shitty".
When the above "chopping" occurs, the other party starts to be really
angry, and starts
talking faster and louder, which makes the effect even worse.

Talking to landline has no issue in general.

So in my humble opinion the audio (hardware+software) on the
freerunner is seriously fucked up,
and what is worse, the key people never admitted the fact.

I tried everything, I fighted with the issue more then 6 months now
for a feature which is supposed
to JUST WORKs. And I think my settings are the best possible what can be made.

As the audio quality depends on the other party's phone (motorola is
the best in general), and
also the other's provider too, I dont think it can be ever adjusted
from software...

I only kept using this phone, because of the dictionary and the music
listening with lyrics.
Thats the only reason. And thats why I cant switch to an other phone....

I also hate the fact that I need to charge every day my freerunner. I
will look into #1024 fix,
just the situation is so frustrating.

I also miss times to times the incoming call, because Im unable to
hear the ringing...

Best regards,
 Laszlo