[SHR] illume predictive keyboard is too slow - Usability features

"Marco Trevisan (Treviño)" mail at 3v1n0.net
Mon Feb 2 21:53:26 CET 2009

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 18:59:32 +0100 "Marco Trevisan (Treviño)" <mail at 3v1n0.net>
> said:
>> Maybe using something like a "trie" [1] to archive the
>> words could help (both for words matching and for compressing the
>> dictionary).
>> Too hard?
>>
>> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trie
>
> so back to the trie... the trie would only be useful for the ascii matching - i
> need something more complex. it just combines the data with the match tree
> (letters are inline). i need a match tree + lookup table to other matches to
> display - and possibly several match entries (all the matches to display also
> need to be in the tree pointing to a smaller match list).

Ok, thanks... I got it. However I hope we could have made something that
 is based on that idea (the trie) but that can be applied to non
ascii-chars too.

However in the past days I sent you privately also a mail about some
issues of the keyboard in latest e17 svn [1], but I got no answer.
Maybe the mail wasn't sent correctly?!

However I've wrote there also some features that I'd suggest to
implement in the Illume keyboard. I'll write them here too to make the
community aware:

I use the illume keyboard every day and I'm very happy with it as I've
said many times in this ML, but sometimes it happens that it performs
some unwanted actions like:
 - I involuntarily click on a suggested word while I'm still typing my
   word (cause I'm not too precise I tap over a word, instead of a top
   char).
 - It happens that I got my keyboard switched while typing (yes, I know
   that this mainly an hardware-related issue, due to the touchscreen
   jitters).
They seem unrelated, but why not workarounding them by allowing these
actions only after a small timeout (i.e. waiting few ms from the latest
char pressure)?
Generally you never confirm a word or switch keyboard as fast as you
type over a char (since typing can be un-precise thanks to the keyboard
correction, switching a keyboard or selecting a word must be precise)...

And... What about making the horizontal word list (the one over the
keys) scrollable [right-left] as the configuration toolbar is? Would it
require more computation? I figure that that could improve the usability.

Bye.

[1] http://i43.tinypic.com/i4il2d.png

--
Treviño's World - Life and Linux