[SHR] no route to host

Joel Newkirk freerunner at newkirk.us
Mon Feb 2 23:51:51 CET 2009

On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 18:49:00 +0100, Vinzenz Hersche <hersche at puzzle.ch>
wrote:

> hello there,
>
> i've the shr unstable from today and got a problem; i was connected on
> ssh to my phone and want to test the wifi-connection (so i've got 2
> connections, usb and wifi). after i want to connect to wifi, my shell
> on the computer freeze.
>
> so i tried to connect a second time, but there's just a failure-message:
>
> skamster at skamster-laptop:~$ ssh root at 192.168.0.202
> ssh: connect to host 192.168.0.202 port 22: No route to host
> skamster at skamster-laptop:~$
>
> this problem is also there after a reboot.
>
> i think, wifi changed something in /etc/interfaces, but i don't know
> what. does someone know, what i must change to connect with usb to my
> phone?
>
> thanks a lot for ideas, hope, this failure isn't there in the future.. :)
>
> greets

Wifi /shouldn't/ touch /etc/network/interfaces, usually the only programs
that will ever try to alter it are network managers.  What procedure did
you use when trying to bring up wifi?  I've previously used "ifup eth0"
from console or terminal, but with newest SHR (Jan31 or so opkg upgrade)
there IS NO ETH0 most of the time, resulting in "No such device" errors.

Also note that if you've been connecting and disconnecting the FR from the
host computer many times since the host was rebooted it may have problems.
Initially my usb0 was the third network device (the '3' in the first column
above) on my host, but currently it's 12.  I've seen it get "too high"
before and only a reboot of the host would allow it to connect again.
(sorry, I don't remember where it started failing - IIRC it was at 32 but
don't shoot me if that's way off)

I recently encountered the same problem - unplug from USB, power-cycle
freerunner & wait for boot to finish, plug in USB, wait 5 secs, unplug USB,
wait 5 secs, plug back in, and I had a connection.  (I don't know if it's
the FR or Ubuntu but if I boot or reboot the FR while attached to USB it
usually doesn't connect until unplugged and re-attached, so I'm already
used to unplug/wait/replug)

If that fails, then reboot the FR, open the terminal on the FR and check
the output of "ip a s usb0" - allowing for the randomly-selected MAC
address, it should look pretty much like:

3: usb0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast qlen
1000
    link/ether 22:7d:18:7d:5a:a8 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 192.168.0.202/24 brd 192.168.0.255 scope global usb0
    inet6 fe80::207d:18ff:fe7d:5aa8/64 scope link
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

and "ip r" should show you:
192.168.0.0/24 dev usb0  src 192.168.0.202
default via 192.168.0.200 dev usb0

Presuming that's correct, do the same on the host computer, which should at
least show interfaces usb0, though it may be down or have no IP address at
this point.  If it's down, try "ifup usb0" on the host (root or sudo) or
"ip l s usb0 up" and take a look at the data again.  If the interface is up
on the host but has no IP, try "ip a a 192.168.0.200/24 dev usb0" (again,
root or sudo) and see if you can connect.

Joel Newkirk
http://jthinks.com      (blog)
http://newkirk.us/om (FR stuff)