[SHR] illume predictive keyboard is too slow

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Tue Feb 3 23:59:02 CET 2009

On Tue, 3 Feb 2009 17:36:26 +0100 Laszlo KREKACS
<laszlo.krekacs.list at gmail.com> said:

> > 1. norwegian does allow for conversion to roman-only text. there are rules
> > much like german.
> > 2. this conversion isn't used much and is a "last resort" thing.
> > 3. only a few "special" letters are needed for common use cases in addition
> > to latin
> >

> Hi!
>
> I just giving you some perspective;)
>
> In Hungary the situation is much like the norvegian.
> We have two special accented character (ő,ű) which is not used in any
> other language all the other accent are present in the latin-1 char
> set (we use the latin-2 charset).
>
> In the early computer era ő was matched to õ and ű was matched to û so
> even the early microsoft word didnt care about those "special"
> characters (and used latin-1 charset instead).
> But it is a history now thanks to utf-8 (but is still a nightmare the
> accented filenames, especially when restoring broken harddrives;)
>
> There is no "romanization" here, but young people/computer addicts
> tend to type without accents, but you cant "decrypt" it by words, you
> need to understand the whole sentence. So simple word correction are
> not working.
>
> It is not like in Germany where you can write Tschüß, as Tschuess.

ok - so if a young person typed:
Öt szép szűz
it'd be:
Ot szep szuz

right?

> So there was developed a standard (which are not used anymore, as
> there are no problem with accents nowaday), where all the accented
> characters are written using a char plus a punctuation.
> I give you an example:
> Öt szép szűz lány őrült írót nyúz
> O:t sze'p szu"z la'ny o"ru:lt i'ro't nyu'z.
>
> Maybe you can use this idea. Or ignore utf-8 and use the corresponding
> is8859-1,2 etc charset, where  one character is one byte.

nah. this heavily precludes expansion. 1 byte is 256 chars. try cram in
russian, greek, thai, hindi.. etc. into that space. not going to work. so you
keep flipign charsets and have special code per charset... no thanks :)

> A simple word based dictionary is limited anyway for the hungarian
> language, where you can create a word as long as this:
> "elkelkáposztástalaníthatatlanságoskodásaitokért".

ugh. so its like german. compound words get created a lot by just stringing
multiple words together without a space. that's ok- as long as there arent a
massive set of them... :)