[SHR] illume predictive keyboard is too slow

Helge Hafting helge.hafting at hist.no
Thu Feb 5 15:57:41 CET 2009

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:

>> Surely, when there is a kayboard anyway, a couple of extra keys won't
>> cost much. Not if they are on all phones, instead of only "adapted"
>> ones. The americans can use the extras as application hotkeys.
>
> oh its not the extra keys - its the variations in production.
I know. Which is why I suggest one single keyboard for all, with
the maximum amount of keys instead of the minimum. That way, every
language (at least every latin-based language) can have a normal keyboard.

No problem for the english - it will work fine. Their extra keys can be
blank, or used as hotkeys. Users with other languages can add whatever
they need - and in the correct location too.

> just a change in printing whats on the keys is not free. software keyboards are
A project like openmoko have the option of leaving that to the users.
Supply a sheet with small letter stickers for all languages, and a
printed sheet with where each letter normally go for the
software-supported languages.
[...]

> it sucks. but "english" is the lowest common denominator and thus most things
> tend to be built to support it - as   it tends to keep more people happier
> than  some other setup. if there was enough volume to make enough units for a
> particular language/locale/country - it'd be different. :)

I understand that there is little interest in making a phone
specifically for Norway, when the volumes are low. That doesn't mean the
lowest common is the best way. A keyboard with several extra blank keys,
and the english qwerty printed on the keytops will work fine for the
large group of english-language users.  Norwegians like me will simply
put the "ø" and "æ" stickers on the 2 keys to the right of "l", and the
"å" sticker on the key to the right of "p".

Those who want a radically different layout, such as dvorak, take the
lid off and carefully rearrange the keytops. Same for azerty-layouts.

Programmable is better, but if someone wants real keys that depress with
a click, then this is possible too.

Helge Hafting