[SHR] illume predictive keyboard is too slow

Laszlo KREKACS laszlo.krekacs.list at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 16:48:36 CET 2009

2009/2/5 The Rasterman Carsten Haitzler <raster at rasterman.com>:
>> But there are other cases, where it is not that clear:
>> ólt - pound (accusative)
>> ölt - he killed ...
>> olt - to graft
>
> sure.. maybe being an english speaker.. this doesn't bother me so much as
> english is full of such words... 1 word can have 2 or 3 or even more very
> different meanings. written the same way. only context lets you figure it out.
> so to me i go "so.. what's the problem?" :)

Sure, many words can have different meanings. But you missed the point.

When english has multiple meanings of a word, you pronounce the same
way, it is the same word.
But with accents, you pronounce very differently because it is not the
same word!

The correct analogy for english would be:
Lets assume the character 'v' is just an accented version of character 'n'.
Now when you want to write "vice president", you always and up with
"nice president".
See the difference?

Better example: merge the character "e" with "a". I think you get the idea...
((
Battar axampla: marga tha charactar "a" with "a". I think you gat tha idaa...
Can you decrypt? Sure. By computer? Maybe. Was nice to read? I highly doubt it.
))

> i don't have the bandwidth to go solving every language on the planet's input problems.

I didnt ask you to do so.
I said, you cant just ignore the accents, because, most of the time,
it is not a "modifier" of a char but a whole another character.

It is the same case what Helge at the beginning said for norwegian
language (for/fôr, tå/ta).

I simply confirmed the same problem exists for other language too.

Best regards,
 Laszlo