New Release of GuitarTune v0.20 (based on Alsa)

c_c cchandel at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 8 07:44:41 CET 2009

Hi,

Jakob wrote:

> Thanks for this great app. It works pretty good. A friend also tried to
> tune a trumpet with it, which is no problem either.

  You're welcome. And thanks for the input - didn't know trumpets could be
tuned too! Makes sense though.
  Well, theoretically, the freq detection is only limited by the mic
characteristics and the sample rate. Since I'm sampling at 44100 (after the
shift to alsa) - the program should detect upto 20KHz without any prob.
  I have, however, restricted the freq detection between 20 to 350 Hz (to
save on calculations and ease off the lag).
  As the dsp code gets better (as I experiment with it - hopefully:-) I'll
increase the freq range. Does anyone have any inputs about what the range
should be? I'm not really looking at covering all the keys in a Piano - but
that can be done too - with greater lags.
  Also - it would be nice to hear about what other instruments are being
tuned! Hmmm, time to change the name of the app perhaps?!
  I'm also in the process of pimping up the GUI. Just thought it would be
nice to look at a sexier GTK program! I was kind of going for a guitar
fretboard look (I know it's been overdone on the iPhone) but maybe I need to
relook that. Any Ideas?