[SHR unstable] Openmoko headset

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Fri Feb 13 15:09:43 CET 2009

On Friday 13 February 2009, Tony Berth wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> how can I avoid to have the Openmoko headset AND the speaker working at the
> same time? Where I plug-in the headset, people around me can listen to the
> conversation from the speaker!
>
> Also, how can I increase the volume in the headset cause the default one is
> very low! You can hardly understand the person you are calling.

Currently this doesn't seem to be automatic in any of the distros.

The generic answer is to activate gsmheadset.state, and adjust the volume
settings in it to match your preference. The correct way to do this will vary
depending on which distro you are using. The most generic is to use alsactl:

alsactl -f /usr/share/openmoko/scenarios/gsmheadset.state restore

FSO has a dbus interface for this, and a rules engine that may be able to
handle the switching if the phone app doesn't. The dbus call can be made from
the command line:

mdbus -s org.freesmartphone.odeviced /org/freesmartphone/Device/Audio
org.freesmartphone.Device.Audio.PushScenario gsmheadset

Another option may be pymixer - see link at end of [1]

In either case you will need to run this after the start of the call as the
phone app is likely to load gsmhandset.state when you pick up the call.

[1] http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Neo_Freerunner_audio_subsystem