[2008.x] Locale packages depend on virtual-locale packages that don't exist in any language

Risto H. Kurppa risto at kurppa.fi
Mon Feb 16 11:01:41 CET 2009

I've been trying to install finnish localization files on my 2008.12.
The best I've been able to do is

echo "LANG=fi_FI.UTF-8">>/etc/profile
echo "LC_ALL=fi_FI.UTF-8">>/etc/profile
echo "export LANG LC_ALL">>/etc/profile

opkg install `opkg list | grep locale-fi | cut -d' ' -f1` (thaks lindi :)

In the end I see a long list of packages that depend on
virtual-locale-fi that isn't available and doesn't exist anywhere. I
suppose others have the same problem, I wasn't able to find any
virtual-locale-file anywhere.

What needs to be done to create this virtual-locale for each language
so that installing it would install you all the required language
files. Now we have tens or hundreds of packages in the repository that
won't install without --force-depends. Is there anyone around with the
skills to fix this? Our distro manager?

This would make it easier to translate/use the Freerunner in your
native language, like any other cell phone.