[All] To build a better music player

Denis Johnson denis.johnson at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 03:03:57 CET 2009

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 4:17 AM, Dylan Reilly <dreilly at atariland.net> wrote:
> One of my primary uses for the openmoko is a music player

Just as a general question, and I apologize to the community if this
has been discussed here previously.

I wonder if anyone has tried to run VLC from  http://www.videolan.org/
on the FR. It is open source, has been around and tested for many
years, supports many audio & video formats, streaming source or
producer , can be run from the command line and various UI's can be
attached.
Although perhaps not optimized to be finger friendly out of the box,
I'm sure if anyone is inclined to put a nice UI on it with the FR tool
set it shouldn't be that difficult.

As I said, this has probably been discussed previously and there many
excellent technical reasons why it is not a viable solution, but if so
would like a summary of why not.

cheers Denis