thoughts on A-GPS offline

Risto H. Kurppa risto at kurppa.fi
Tue Feb 17 10:42:50 CET 2009

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 10:40 AM, Ed Kapitein <ed at kapitein.org> wrote:
> Hi Rikard,
>
> Yes, take a look at www.opencellid.org.
> This will give you your rough location and you can use that to get the
> agps data for your area.
>
> I have some scripts that will do that for you, so just let me know if
> you are intressted.
>
> Kind regards,
> Ed

Yes we're interested!
Show us what you have. I'd like to see things like these to be easy to
install & use, an ipkg package would be nice :)
When someone posted the agps program to opkg.org I was inspired to try
it and it seems to work very well, it's fast to get the fix. If agps
would get the rough location information from opencellid I suppose it
would be even faster (though gprs connection is the thing that slows
down this a lot). But using only opencellid would give you a rough
estimation of the location quickly also when you don't have time to
run gprs to download the agps data. Then if only this rough location
could be given to GPS so apps (tango, navit etc) could use it..