Open IPKG packages from command line

Risto H. Kurppa risto at kurppa.fi
Tue Feb 17 11:01:05 CET 2009

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 11:47 AM, Kasper Johansen <k at spernj.org> wrote:
> For future reference: "ar -x some_package.ipk" did the trick.
>
> Thank you Gunnar!
>

> Gunnar Aastrand Grimnes wrote:
>> .ipk are like debian (or indeed ubuntu) packages, i.e. they are
>> initially packaged with ar, not tar. Unpacking will give you a meta-data
>> file plus control.tar.gz. and data.tar.gz, which you can untar as usual.
>> data.tar.gz is meants to be untarred in /, i.e. it contains all folders
>> up from usr, var, etc.
>>
>> - Gunnar

Indeed, thank you both for asking & answering - I've been planning to
learn to create .deb packages for a long time. Now that I'm able to
open .deb and .ipk packages (didn't know earlier how to do it) the
whole thing makes a lot more sense :) Now I still need to find out
when the included scripts (preinst prerm postrm) are run and where are
$D and $OPT defined.

Thanks again :)