Open IPKG packages from command line

Kasper Johansen k at spernj.org
Tue Feb 17 11:08:02 CET 2009

Risto H. Kurppa wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 11:47 AM, Kasper Johansen <k at spernj.org> wrote:
>
>> For future reference: "ar -x some_package.ipk" did the trick.
>>
>> Gunnar Aastrand Grimnes wrote:
>>
>>> .ipk are like debian (or indeed ubuntu) packages, i.e. they are
>>> initially packaged with ar, not tar. Unpacking will give you a meta-data
>>> file plus control.tar.gz. and data.tar.gz, which you can untar as usual.
>>> data.tar.gz is meants to be untarred in /, i.e. it contains all folders
>>> up from usr, var, etc.
>>>

> Indeed, thank you both for asking & answering - I've been planning to
> learn to create .deb packages for a long time. Now that I'm able to
> open .deb and .ipk packages (didn't know earlier how to do it) the
> whole thing makes a lot more sense :) Now I still need to find out
> when the included scripts (preinst prerm postrm) are run and where are
> $D and $OPT defined
Hi Risto.

If you want to create .ipk-packages, you should take a look at the
"ipkg-build.sh"-script. You basically just do this:

ipkg-build.sh folder_with_files/

In the "folder_with_files"-folder you then put stuff like:
usr/share/applications/shortcut.desktop
opt/my_application/app.rb
CONTROL/control

It is very easy to use. You can read about the script here:
http://www.oesf.org/index.php?title=IPKG_Howto

You can download the script here:
http://www.oesf.org/howto/downloads/ipkg-build.sh

Further more, I have created a script, which reads all ".ipk"-packages
in its own folder and creates a "Packages.gz"-file from that, so you can
easily set up your own repository. If you (or anyone else) is
interested, I would gladly share the source-code for this script with
you all.

I will even set up a SVN for the script, if anyone wants to help develop it.

--
Med venlig hilsen
Kasper Johansen
Mail     : kaspernj at gmail.com