Another possible keyboard

Jan Henkins jan at henkins.za.net
Tue Feb 17 16:27:38 CET 2009

Hello,

It looks good, thanks for sharing!

Insofar outlay is concerned, I find the outlay of the following
alternative illume default keyboard to be a lot better than the original
layout:

http://www.opkg.org/package_101.html

When you install it, it does not overwrite or replace the original default
keyboard, but give you a "default-alt" option in the selectable keybord
list. I find this layout to be very thumb-friendly, and I can quite
rapidly and accurately type text messages with one or two thumbs. Accuracy
with thinner fingers are even better in my experience. I'm quite sure that
people with big hands and thick fingers could comfortably use this layout.

On Tue, February 17, 2009 13:36, Xavier Cremaschi wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have tested the Nokia 5800 xpressmusic, and its small keyboard looks
> like this :
> http://www.slashgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/all-about-symbian-review_-nokia-5800-xpressmusic-preview-part-1-1.jpg
>
> It is quite usable with finger (not nail, not thumb, but the index
> finger), I made very few typo with it (I was not moving) :
> - the system seems to detect the pressure point quite well
> - no predictive keyboard behind
> - 360x640 pixels, so not wider than FR.
>
> Another thing which is quite comfortable : the haptic feedback.
> When you click on something, the phone vibrate, but it doesn't feel like
> a vibration but more like a "0.5mm nudge"... it feels solid.
>
> Xavier (just want to share).

Regards,
Jan Henkins