HTC Dream Developer Edition / T-Mobile G1

Daniel Benoy daniel at benoy.name
Wed Feb 18 20:46:11 CET 2009

I've heard that there's a special developer edition of the HTC Dream (Marketed in the US and Europe under the name 'T-Mobie G1'), which includes an unlocked boot loader and carrier agnostic GSM access.

Does anyone know anything about this device and how it compares to the GTA02 and current plans for the GTA03?  I'm interested from a freedom perspective, as well as a hardware and software perspective.  Is this phone an option if you want to support open hardware?

Does anyone know if its bootloader is capable of booting from SD with arbitrary kernel options and able to recover from screwing around with it like my freerunner/u-boot?

Are there any plans to make the FSO framework compatible with the hardware in this device (and, by extension, make Debian and current/future openmoko distributions compatible)?

Are there any other freedom issues surrounding this device that I should know about before I consider getting one?

--
Daniel Benoy
http://daniel.benoy.name