Best thing to run on Freerunner and Neo1973 machines today?

Daniel Benoy daniel at benoy.name
Wed Feb 18 21:52:59 CET 2009

I'm having lots of fun with Debian.  I put an 8GB card in my freerunner, and put Debian, zhone, and illume on it.  (Illume is a fairly recent development, and it still doesn't work quite right.  Here's how you install it if you're interested: http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Debian#Illume)

Some spiffy projects once you get your OS going:
- Bluetooth headsets
- GPRS internet access
- GPS (I made a page on my Blog that plots my position when the phone is online.  It involved setting up dynamic DNS using bind on my personal server.  Fun stuff!)
- Maybe some games like ScummVM

I'm also interested trying to set up some VoIP stuff but I've yet to find any really suitable software.

On Wednesday 18 February 2009 06:33:56 you wrote:
> Hiya gang,
>
> After a few months of ignoring the OpenMoko scene while I concentrated
> on other things (beagleboard/openpandora) I find myself looking at my
> neo1973 and freerunner gear, and thinking "its time to do something
> interesting with these devices again".  But I have no idea what is
> going on with the FR these days ..
>
> So, I turn to you guys: what would you recommend I put on both/either
> of these machines for a bit of fun today? FDOM, SHR, something else?
> In terms of easy-to-get fun factor, what do you guys suggest?
>
> ;
> --
> Jay Vaughan

Daniel Benoy