HTC Dream Developer Edition / T-Mobile G1

Daniel Benoy daniel at benoy.name
Wed Feb 18 21:53:04 CET 2009

If I were to get this I would gladly act as a beta tester.  I could also set it up on my network and give developers shell access, if that's what's needed.

However, my primary concern if it's actually open, or if it's filled with super secret patented stuff or otherwise tries to lock me down.  I'd need to know that before I even considered it.

On Wednesday 18 February 2009 15:05:04 you wrote:
> Hello.
>
> On Wed, 2009-02-18 at 14:46, Daniel Benoy wrote:
> >
> > Are there any plans to make the FSO framework compatible with the hardware
> > in this device (and, by extension, make Debian and current/future openmoko
> > distributions compatible)?
>
> Funny, I was thinking about exactly this again today.
>
> We, FSO, are always looking for promising new devices that gives us the freedom
> put FSO on it and make it usable. The sad downside is that the G1 dev phone
> costs around 600USD all in all (399$ device, 180$ shipping to .de, 25$ google
> developer account. :/) And even if I'm willing to spent time testing FSO out on
> it I'm not willing to pay such an amount next to the time I had to invest on
> working with it.
>
> One good thing is that we have already have support on the gsm modem side for
> other HTC devices with a similar chipset and the HTC hacker tell me that it
> should already work (not tested).
>
> regards
> Stefan Schmidt

Daniel Benoy