HTC Dream Developer Edition / T-Mobile G1

scholbert scholbert at
Thu Feb 19 00:44:58 CET 2009

joakim wrote:
> The selling point for me when buying the G1 is that I read that its
> possible to boot debian on it, just like the Freerunner.

Unfortunately that's not quite true, at present.

What people have done is to loop mount a canned debian filesystem and chroot
to it, allowing you to use most of the debian userspace.

At least one guy took it further and used unionfs to achieve a sort-of
merged debian and android filesystem. As yet I'm unaware of debian actually
being able to install/boot on G1. I looked into this as I was interested in
a merged debian/android on FR, using android UI but with debian underneath.
No joy yet.