Best thing to run on Freerunner and Neo1973 machines today?

Daniel Benoy daniel at benoy.name
Thu Feb 19 16:32:10 CET 2009

Alright.

I have my own DNS server and domain running BIND.  I created a file named /etc/network/if-up.d/99dyndns which is called after an interface comes up and does basically this:

----
#!/bin/sh

INTERFACE=$1

if [ -z $INTERFACE ]; then
  INTERFACE=ppp0
fi

IPADDR=`/sbin/ifconfig $INTERFACE | grep 'inet addr:[0-9]' | awk '{print $2}' | cut -d":" -f2`

if [ -z $IPADDR ]; then
  echo "No IP found"
  exit 1
fi

ntpdate time.nist.gov

nsupdate -k /home/root/.dnskeys/Kdynamic.example.com.key.\+187\+59050.private <<EOF
server ns.example.com
zone dynamic.example.com
update delete myphone.dynamic.example.com. A
update add myphone.dynamic.example.com. 30 A $IPADDR
show
send
EOF

exit $?
----

In short, that script calls nsupdate which, using some private key authentication magic, changes my 'myphone.dynamic.example.com' address to the IP of my phone's ppp0 interface.  So every time I log in to GPRS I become reachable by that address.

Then, I made up a short script on my blog that creates an outgoing connection to the gpsd port on my phone's address, and asks it where its current location is, then renders the results using the google maps API (which is free to use non-commercially).

Now my friends and family can track me (if I give them the password) every time I'm on the internet with my phone, complete with spiffy satellite and road maps and I got it outputting my speed and heading and such as text.

On Thursday 19 February 2009 07:17:32 you wrote:
> Daniel,
>
> Can you detail further how you got this GPS position thing working?
> What client/server did you use?
>
> Cheers
>

> On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 6:52 AM, Daniel Benoy <daniel at benoy.name> wrote:
> > I'm having lots of fun with Debian.  I put an 8GB card in my freerunner, and put Debian, zhone, and illume on it.  (Illume is a fairly recent development, and it still doesn't work quite right.  Here's how you install it if you're interested: http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Debian#Illume)
> >
> > Some spiffy projects once you get your OS going:
> > - Bluetooth headsets
> > - GPRS internet access
> > - GPS (I made a page on my Blog that plots my position when the phone is online.  It involved setting up dynamic DNS using bind on my personal server.  Fun stuff!)
> > - Maybe some games like ScummVM
> >
> > I'm also interested trying to set up some VoIP stuff but I've yet to find any really suitable software.
> >
> > On Wednesday 18 February 2009 06:33:56 you wrote:
> >> Hiya gang,
> >>
> >> After a few months of ignoring the OpenMoko scene while I concentrated
> >> on other things (beagleboard/openpandora) I find myself looking at my
> >> neo1973 and freerunner gear, and thinking "its time to do something
> >> interesting with these devices again".  But I have no idea what is
> >> going on with the FR these days ..
> >>
> >> So, I turn to you guys: what would you recommend I put on both/either
> >> of these machines for a bit of fun today? FDOM, SHR, something else?
> >> In terms of easy-to-get fun factor, what do you guys suggest?
> >>
> >> ;
> >> --
> >> Jay Vaughan

> > --