[2008.testing] sshfs

Alexey Feldgendler alexey at feldgendler.ru
Sun Feb 22 11:26:33 CET 2009

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 11:18:21 +0100, Jeffrey Ratcliffe
<jeffrey.ratcliffe at gmail.com> wrote:

> Mounting my FR from my Ubuntu Intrepid box via sshfs is really useful,
> but sometimes, I cannot unmount it, getting:
>
> $ make moko-
> fusermount -u /home/jeff/OM/moko
> umount: /home/jeff/OM/moko: device is busy.
>         (In some cases useful info about processes that use
>          the device is found by lsof(8) or fuser(1))
> make: [moko-] Error 1 (ignored)
> rmdir /home/jeff/OM/moko
> rmdir: failed to remove `/home/jeff/OM/moko': Device or resource busy
> make: *** [moko-] Error 1
>
> How can get it to unmount cleanly?

This usually happens because a process keeps a file or directory under the
mount point open. One particularly frequent case is when the current
working directory of some process is under the mount point. As the error
message suggests, you can use lsof to identify the offending process.

> Further - how would I go about doing the mount to say /media/moko
> automatically on plugging it in?

There are many automount solutions for linux, from kernel modules to fuse
filesystems.

You probably don't want to mount it on plugging in, but rather on access
to the mount point.