OpenCellID and government list of towers

Thomas Landspurg t.landspurg at 8motions.com
Sun Feb 22 11:39:55 CET 2009

   This list are not helpfull, as they do not contains the callid, just the
position of the tower. They could be used to obtain a better precision of a
cell put this is not the case on opencellid.
  All cells informations at OpenCellID are obtanined from publicly available
data on your phone, and not based on commercial database. But of course, I
am not a legal expert, but I think that there is no legal issue here.

2009/2/21 Tim Dobson <lists at tdobson.net>

> Olivier Migeot wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 1:08 PM, Timo Juhani Lindfors
> > <timo.lindfors at iki.fi> wrote:
> >
> >> There are many creative commons licenses, some are permit commercial
> >> use, some don't.
> >
> > If you go one click further, you'd discover that the said "Creative
> > Commons" licence chosed by OpenCellID is :
> > http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/
> >
> > So it should be ok for openbmap guys. That could explain the thing
> > about "merging" both databases. Any "official" insight on this? I've
> > been collecting cell information for a few weeks, with some home-made
> > script, and I'd like to know where I should commit them to.
>
> Please please forgive me if I'm wrong. I put my hand up and say I am not
> an expert in this area and COULD BE WRONG.
>
> opencellid has A LOT of data for the UK. In fact it wouldn't surprise me
> if this was all the towers.
>
> Due to a load of people being scared of phone masts and radiation etc,
> the uk body in charge of radio stuff etc. OFCOM, made available on this
> website:
> http://www.sitefinder.ofcom.org.uk/
> pretty much all the locations of all the cell towers...
>
> I'm not sure how that information is licenced.. I have seen discussions
> about this before I think but I can't remember where... it could have
> been OSM related.
>
> Obviously the issue would be opencellid integrating unclearls licenced
> data.
>
> Before you reply:
>
> STOP. As I said before, I may well be wrong!
>
> Happy Hacking,
>
> Tim
>
> --
> www.tdobson.net
> ----
> If each of us have one object, and we exchange them, then each of us
> still has one object.
> If each of us have one idea, and we exchange them, then each of us now
> has two ideas.   -  George Bernard Shaw

Thomas LANDSPURG
8Motions
Founder/CTO