Introducing CellHunter

Thomas Landspurg t.landspurg at 8motions.com
Sun Feb 22 11:49:40 CET 2009

  Hello Robin,

  Thanks for poiting this out. Any thought on what license then should
OpenCellID use? I would be happy if somebody with a good background on this
would provide us a suggesiton on the license or even the wording to be used
with OpenCellID.

  And sebastian, as I stated yesterday, congrat for the idea, I am looking
forward for the integration between this effort and OpenCellID.

  Regards,

2009/2/22 Robin Paulson <robin.paulson at gmail.com>

> 2009/2/22 Sebastian Hammerl <list-openmoko at omoco.de>:
> > now I find the time to post on the community mailinglist and like to
> > (already mentioned here) introduce myself and CellHunter.
> >
> > I am student right now and got together with some friends and imagined
> > that we could have fun with cellids and games based on there cells. But
> > for this we need a database to work on and so i started the project
> > CellHunter [1].
> >
> > CellHunter is a game where you collect cellids together with the gps
> > position you received this cell. You are working in teams and get points
> > for each cell you submit. The score for the submitted cell depends on
> > the type of cell if it is already known or brand new. More about the
> > point system on the homepage [2].
> >
> > Right know the CellHunter database contains about 450000 entries with
> > ~9000 unique cells. 35 teams active and we get new cells everyday.
> >
> > I know that there a several other cell databases and i contacted
> > opencellid two days ago and will contribute. Others are welcome to
> > contact me.
> >
> > The license of the data is discussed at the moment, i think it will be
> > cc-by-sa but because this project is very new and grows faster than i
> > expected i just want to check available licenses and their pros and cons.
>
> Hi Sebastian,
> good to hear you're working on this project. i've been working on
> openstreetmap.org, a conceptually similar project, for a couple of
> years now - they are currently in the process of transitioning from
> cc-by-sa to a new license, specifically designed for databases, with
> the help of a lawyer or two. their theory is that cc is more for
> creative content, which is not really applicable to osm; this may be
> useful for your project too. more info here:
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Data_License
>
> cheers

Thomas LANDSPURG
8Motions