Paroli Testing (Was: Community Updates/February 20, 2009 released)

Timo Jyrinki timo.jyrinki at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 11:26:09 CET 2009

2009/2/23 Brenda Wang <brenda_wang at openmoko.com>:
> I have updated the Paroli 's information on Wiki page. And continued
> maintain this page. Feel free to use it.
>
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Paroli

What plans are there for I18N of Paroli? I'd like to already start
doing initial translations for various Paroli applications, but I do
not see gettext usage / .pot files etc yet.

Just as a random example of a Python program using gettext, see
https://code.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-installer/usb-creator/trunk

I recently patched it so that all aspects of i18n work there,
including getting .desktop file entries translatable via PO files.
"build_i18n" of setup.py is the key, see also setup.cfg and
deskop/usb-creator.desktop.in on how to handle .desktop files, and
finally of course some bit of the code to see gettext usage in action.

Since Paroli's .desktop files are currently all in one directory, and
applications tend to be small, I'd vote for one single .pot file for
the whole paroli at this point - it would collect all the translations
and also paroli would use a single translation domain "paroli". Does
that sound sensible?

-Timo