[SHR] Suspend / Resume speed

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer mickey at openmoko.org
Mon Feb 23 12:08:10 CET 2009

Am Montag, den 23.02.2009, 09:32 +0100 schrieb Florian Hackenberger:
> I noticed that suspending / resuming on 2008.12 is quite fast compared
> to SHR. The difference which is most noticeable is that SHR switches to
> a virtual terminal before and right after suspending, as opposed to
> 2008.12 which resumes right into X.

Chances are they just cover up by turning backlight off prior to doing
real suspend and then wait until resume has happened before turning it
on again. We're not doing this yet, since we had our share with
suspend/resume problems in the past and only will do that once it proves
100% solid.

> Is there a way to replicate this
> behaviour on SHR? I suspect that we could save at least a second of
> resume time, because printing and scrolling a few hundred lines of
> kernel log in addition to the mode switches takes a bit of time.

IIRC Garmin had a patch in their Navi sources that removes switching the
VT on suspend/resume, which gave a) a better user experience and b) a
small speedup. We should pick that up IMO.

:M: