[New software] openBmap logger (GSM positioning)

Stefan Schmidt stefan at openmoko.org
Mon Feb 23 22:01:18 CET 2009

Hello.

>>On Fri, 2009-02-20 at 20:00, Stefan Schmidt wrote:
>>First problem. Where can I find the source code? Something like a tarball with
>>the version number in the name or a source code management system would be best.
>>
>>It seems I'm only able to download the ipk but not the files it was build from.
>>Did I miss something?
>
>It is Python based, so the files in the package are the source file.

Yep, I'm aware of that.

>You will find in the package everything needed:
>source code, desktop file, images, glade file, authors, licenses, etc...

Yep, this is also known. It's not the first software I bring into OE which then
builds such ipk's :)

Let me explain my point a bit more. You are writing the software and releasing a
new version when you think new features are implemented or bugs are fixed. In
the FOSS world is is normally done as atarball that includes all the source
files ready to build. Now python has nothing that needs compiling but it still
needs to get packaged in a way that makes it easy for user to install it. You
have done this yourself when preparing your ipk.

But this package may need adjustment from time to time when other parts of the
system change so it is always good to build it together with the rest of an
image and have it in the so called feeds where the user can easily install it
over the package management.

That's what I like to do for you. You have more or less the same setup as the
cellhunter game: Python scripts, desktop file, icon, etc.

I just packaged this and Sebastian provides an tarball with all the files flat
in the dir with package name and version and OE takes care of the rest.

>If you need a tarball, I will try to put something together out of my freerunner
>tomorrow.

Hmm, you have no kind of version control? Let me say you that this is a bad
habbit. Learned my lesson. :/

Back to the point. Yes, I would need a tarball, or a public available SCM. For a
tarball please use something like this as name:

$applicationname-0.3.0.tar.gz

Which then should contain a directory with the same name but without file
ending:
$applicationname-0.3.0

Inside this dir just put your files and I take care that they are installed
properly within the ipk.

regards
Stefan Schmidt