NetworkManager works just fine (was: [ubuntu host] NetworkManager improvements)

Joel Newkirk freerunner at newkirk.us
Tue Feb 24 06:18:42 CET 2009

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 15:35:41 +0200
"Patrick C. F. Ernzer" <pcfe at pcfe.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 21:13:17 -0500
> Joel Newkirk <freerunner at newkirk.us> wrote:
>
> [...]
> > Has anyone else been successful with Ubuntu NetworkManager recently?
> [...]
>
> Not Ubuntu but NetworkManager in general. As said on the wiki page,
> one needs to nail down the MAC address for NM to dish out the same IP.
>
> I use the following on many boxes, so the version numbers can be off a
> bit.
>
> NetworkManager-0.7.0-1.git20090102.fc10.i386
>
> create /usr/local/sbin/freerunner-usb-add.sh
> create /etc/udev/rules.d/80-freerunner.rules
> cd /etc/udev/rules.d/
> chcon --reference=40-multipath.rules 80-freerunner.rules
> chmod 744 freerunner-usb-add.sh
> udevcontrol --reload_rules
>
> Depending on how your firewall is set up, you may or may not have to
> issue the following
>
> iptables -A POSTROUTING -t nat -j MASQUERADE -s 192.168.0.0/24
> iptables -I FORWARD 1 -s 192.168.0.202 -j ACCEPT
> iptables -I INPUT 1 -s 192.168.0.202 -j ACCEPT
> echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
>
> RU
>
> PCFE

Thanks. With the current Ubuntu there have been problems where NM tries
to take control of usb0 despite being told not to, or refuses to follow
manual setting within its own GUI, but also it has had problems where it
tries to point default route out usb0, or brings eth0 down and back up,
or other odd behavior. Lately most of that seems fixed.