GPS emergency call standards

Tilman Baumann tilman at baumann.name
Tue Feb 24 12:06:20 CET 2009

Hi,

I'm just wondering if there are any open standards for emergency
services for location.
I'm thinking about services like http://www.steiger-stiftung.de
(European, websites in other languages should be available)

  A SMS to the respective emergency (112, 911) number containing the
GPS position could be a start, but then someone has to read it.
I would guess there is a standard for a computer readable format.

Building a emergency call app would be a nice thing to have.

PS: According to Wikipedia, 112 works on all GSM networks no matter if
the number is a emergency number in tie state.