GPS emergency call standards

Helge Hafting helge.hafting at hist.no
Tue Feb 24 12:38:57 CET 2009

Tilman Baumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm just wondering if there are any open standards for emergency
> services for location.
> I'm thinking about services like http://www.steiger-stiftung.de
> (European, websites in other languages should be available)
>
>   A SMS to the respective emergency (112, 911) number containing the
> GPS position could be a start, but then someone has to read it.
> I would guess there is a standard for a computer readable format.
>
> Building a emergency call app would be a nice thing to have.
>
> PS: According to Wikipedia, 112 works on all GSM networks no matter if
> the number is a emergency number in tie state.

If you have the gps coordinates, just tell them over the phone as you
make the call. They will use it if they have gps eqipment, which is
likely. Automating this seems dangerous in that your SMS to the
emergency service is delayed by a few minutes as the phone struggle to
get the first fix. When you talk, you can fall back on other
descriptions of the place (addresses, road names) if coordinates aren't
available.

Helge Hafting