Lack of structured information

Lothar Behrens lothar.behrens at lollisoft.de
Wed Feb 25 10:27:37 CET 2009

About all the discussion about documentation and searching them, what
about using a
knowledge management system ?

If I do a search for 'api sleep' in the Openmoko wiki, I get 9 search
results, If I search for
'api wakeup' I get 5 results.

If I search for 'acpi' I get 3 results.

All these seem not to bring up what I search for. Why ?

I probably have searched with the wrong words. For me this may simply
lack of knowledge
if sysfs has any relation to the information about power management
(especially where the
device is currently powered from).

But it may be related.

With a knowledge system you would propably get a list of related
keywords + short descriptions
what is handled there.

Then I do not need to read all the found articles to spot those who
are really related to my search.

So how about using a knowledge management system to link information
semantically ?

There is no need to put all the documentation in it, but each visitor
who might found a relation not
in the knowledge base system could add one linking in the article to
the related content even it is
not in the openmoko wiki.

Each link may be weighted by a voting system thus it will increase the
quality of the link - if that is
possible with any knowledge management system.

Lothar

-- | Rapid Prototyping | XSLT Codegeneration | http://www.lollisoft.de
Lothar Behrens
Heinrich-Scheufelen-Platz 2