GSM Power off

Helge Hafting helge.hafting at hist.no
Wed Feb 25 13:25:25 CET 2009

Paul Fertser wrote:
>>> This is supposed to ask modem firmware to power off itself. Was
>>> necessary because GTA01 has no physical power switch. I don't know
>>> exact results of this command though.
>> IIRC it issues a controlled shutdown including deregistration from the
>> network and shutting down RF.
>
> But is it really necessary? One can as well suddenly go out of
> coverage without any deregistrations. Does it really matter for the
> network?

It guess it might matter for the network - if a call comes in.
If you told the network about powering off, they will notify the caller
immediately that your phone is not available.

If you powered off abruptly and the network haven't timed your phone out
yet, then the tower will try its best to reach you while the caller
waits. Some callers may guess (incorrectly) that you are ignoring their
call.

Helge Hafting