Monologue - very simple dictation assistant

kimaidou kimaidou at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 18:06:16 CET 2009

Hi all

I would like to react :D
I created voicenote because there WAS no application running on the moko to
record wav file. Since I did not want to make it weight, and because it was
at the beginning only for recording wav files, I did not choose python + a
gui.
+ I would like to learn a bit of bash scripting :D

This was and is still Ok if you just want to have a very fast "do your job"
application = voicenote

Just after the release, and today, 2 identical projects poped up. Identical
? Not sure : one wants to record only when speaking (for being able to
record without the need to touch the screen, I think for OSM mapping), the
second wants a nice GUI (or the other way )

The great openmoko community reacts very fast, and gave me ideas to
implement :
* add GPS location + time for easy OSM editing
* be able to play the files / delete them, etc.
* modulate the level to reach good audio quality
* record only when speaking
* etc...

My thought :
* I loooove the dynamism of the community
* I really think bash script is limited if we want to easily implement gps
access / volume control / record when speaking /etc.
* I cannot spend much time on it

So I think I will now let voicenote in version 0.3 (except for bugs
corrections and small improvements) and let people with time and knowledge
to implement a great app with a nice gui and better function.
I think Timo and Mathias should work together. I tested mathias's soft, and
the ui is great.

Of course I will help them with idea, trac tickets and more !

Kimaidou

PS :
* One question to Timo : have you tested your soft in noisy environment ? Is
it able to differenciate a voice from another sound ?
* I agree with what has been said : each function (voice recognition or gps
data) must be options the user can desactivate.