Openmoko media player and direct mp3 to bluetooth headphones

c_c cchandel at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 26 03:19:18 CET 2009

Hi,

Daniel Benoy wrote:

> Apparently bluez supports sending mp3 data directly to bluetooth stereo
> headphones, rather than using CPU taxing SBC compression encoding.
>
> (FYI: The way to test direct mp3 is like this: gst-launch filesrc
> location=<some mp3 file> ! mp3parse ! a2dpsink device=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX

  I'm in the process of making a new media player (OK well - 2 formats as of
now mp3 and ogg - with maybe aac later if I can get a GPL codec) called
intone. It is essentially aimed at reducing CPU usage by using integer based
codecs (libmpg123 and tremor). I'm currently playing 44100 hz ogg files at
about 17-19% CPU usage.
  Anyhow, your finding is very interesting. If you could post some more
details - the version of bluez, your audio.conf, hcid.conf etc and a step by
step method of sending data to the bluetooth headset (including headset
bonding) that would be helpful.