Openmoko media player and direct mp3 to bluetooth headphones

Andy Green andy at
Thu Feb 26 03:59:23 CET 2009

| Hi,
| Daniel Benoy wrote:
|> Apparently bluez supports sending mp3 data directly to bluetooth stereo
|> headphones, rather than using CPU taxing SBC compression encoding.
|> (FYI: The way to test direct mp3 is like this: gst-launch filesrc
|> location=<some mp3 file> ! mp3parse ! a2dpsink device=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
|   I'm in the process of making a new media player (OK well - 2 formats
as of
| now mp3 and ogg - with maybe aac later if I can get a GPL codec) called
| intone. It is essentially aimed at reducing CPU usage by using integer
| codecs (libmpg123 and tremor). I'm currently playing 44100 hz ogg files at
| about 17-19% CPU usage.
|   Anyhow, your finding is very interesting. If you could post some more
| details - the version of bluez, your audio.conf, hcid.conf etc and a
step by
| step method of sending data to the bluetooth headset (including headset
| bonding) that would be helpful.

Yes it's pretty interesting to read, especially as it pushes the "dodgy
codec" business outside of anything to do with OM, and has power advantages.

- -Andy
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Fedora -