SHR first impression : it's slow ?

Helge Hafting helge.hafting at hist.no
Thu Feb 26 10:44:59 CET 2009

Xavier Cremaschi wrote:
> Helge Hafting a écrit :
>> Remove the file /etc/freesmartphone/persist/ogpsd.pickle
>> then, restart frameword or just reboot. (Restarting frameworkd sometimes
>> cause trouble with the phone side instead).
>>
>> ogpsd.pickle is where gps information is saved in order to speed up the
>> next activation of the gps unit. It goes bad sometimes, particularly
>> after starting a newly flashed SHR unstable. If this file goes bad
>> enough, you wont get a fix - ever!
>>
>> Deleting the file forces the gps to "cold start", which may take an
>> extra minute or two. But it works reliably. When you stop using the gps
>> unit, a new ogpsd.pickle file is created - this time with good data.
>>
>> Helge Hafting
>

> Already done, no fix at all after >40min.

Then I don't know - deleting the pickle file was the fix for me.

You may want to take a look at the mailing list archives, there are
various procedures for checking that the gps has power and such.

For example:
telnet localhost gpsd
You should get at least one message per second after hitting "enter"
after the "r" - whether you have a fix or not. If this works, then
things are mostly ok you just don't have a fix. If you get nothing, then
there are communication or power problems that prevents the gps unit
from working.

You may also want to try
grep ogpsd < /var/log/frameworkd.log
check if there are any messages indicating trouble. this particular one
is normal, although it looks like a problem:

2009.02.25 22:47:06 ogpsd    WARNING  (could not write to
'/sys/bus/platform/devices/neo1973-pm-gps.0/power_on': [Errno 2] No such
file or directory:'/sys/bus/platform/devices/neo1973-pm-gps.0/power_on')

Helge Hafting