Introducing CellHunter (Update 0.4.1)

Helge Hafting helge.hafting at hist.no
Thu Feb 26 12:01:48 CET 2009

Sebastian Hammerl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the followin logic lies behind the buttons:
>
> check cellid: gets the cell and gps data
> submit data: when in online mode, the displayed data will be submitted,
> when in offline mode the data will be saved
> auto check cellid: "push" check cellid every x seconds
> auto submit data: upload directly after checking. like auto push submit
> button after auto pushing check button
> offline mode toggles where the data gets. on disk or directly to the server.
>
> so if you want collect offline every 10 seconds you have to push:
> offline mode, auto submit, auto check

Ah, so I have not collected anything because I didn't use the auto
submit button. It did not occur to me that this was necessary to
actually save the data being collected.  So, without "auto submit"
cellhunter is more like a passive display that shows the current cell
info. Which is a useful mode, but I'd never guessed.
[...]

> i hope this helps you.

Sure, now I know how it works.

The offline mode is a bit unfinished, in that one has to run a script to
upload. The "natural" way for me is to leave cellhunter running until
I can get a network connection. Then, pressing "submit" (or changing to
online mode) ought to run that script and upload all that was collected
while in offline mode. Or another button for running the upload script.

Helge Hafting