GTA03 Touchscreen Capacitive (was Re: OT: iPhone howto)

Friedrich Clausen fred at derf.nl
Thu Feb 26 14:10:57 CET 2009

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 7:55 AM, Matthias Apitz <guru at unixarea.de> wrote:
> El día Wednesday, February 25, 2009 a las 06:36:31PM +0100, Yorick Moko escribió:
>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touchscreen#Resistive
>> vs
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touchscreen#Capacitive
>
> Thanks;
>
> But: Do we really want a GTA03 which can't be managed with a stylus pen?
> I can't imagine a 'Terminal' like keyboard (i.e. one having all keys
> like the actual Om2008.9 'Terminal', including Shift, SHift-Lock, ...)
> and using it with my finger tips; how should this work? Where this idea,
> GTA03 with Capacitive, comes from? :-((

As far as I can see, the ultimate goal of the OpenMoko project is to
give everyone the chance to use a phone with a completely free (as in
freedom) software stack. For that to succeed I think a Capacitive
screen is better since you only need your fingers and no special
equipment. And, personal opinions aside, the non-technical users in my
social circle prefer the stylus free option.

But, and this is one of the strengths of the Freerunner (+ future
models), is the ability to run multiple distributions - we  have
hacker friendly distros with full keyboards and end-user distros with
big friendly letters and smart ways to handle imprecision.

Although the issue with capacitive screens remain - it appears that it
is not possible to create a really small stylus for use with a small
keyboard containing many buttons. In my very humble opinion, I believe
that a worthy sacrifice in order to create more mass appeal for the
Freerunner (+future models).

Regards,

Fred.