GTA03 Touchscreen Capacitive (was Re: OT: iPhone howto)

Friedrich Clausen fred at derf.nl
Fri Feb 27 13:15:01 CET 2009

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 10:34 AM, Helge Hafting <helge.hafting at hist.no> wrote:
> Friedrich Clausen wrote:
>
>> As far as I can see, the ultimate goal of the OpenMoko project is to
>> give everyone the chance to use a phone with a completely free (as in
>> freedom) software stack.
> Right.
>
>> For that to succeed I think a Capacitive
>> screen is better since you only need your fingers and no special
>> equipment.
> Wrong argument.
> The resistive screen doesn't need a stylus or other special equipment
> either. You can use the resistive screen with a finger only - no problem!
>
> The resistive screen gives you the _option_ of a stylus, for precision
> work. The capacitive screen doesn't give you the option.
>
> So the resistive screen has all the same options as the capacitive for
> finger-only use - capacitive has no advantage when it comes to fingers.

Thanks for your input - I was under the impression capacitive screens
conferred some advantages regarding detecting when a finger is placed
and when I finger is removed with regard to gestures. But I can't back
up this argument because I can't find any solid references.

So, I am conceding to the resistive argument for the time being and
assuming they both perform the same way when using fingers . If so,
then I too would say resistive gives more flexibility.

Regards,

Fred.