vmware on mobile devices

Nicola Mfb nicola.mfb at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 23:06:18 CET 2009

2009/2/27, GNUtoo <GNUtoo at no-log.org>:
[...]
> how would you access the GSM part with vmware?

I do not know if it may be virtualized as other general hardware.

> and won't it do the contrary?
> prevent people from porting GNU/Linux on phones because they simply have
> it with vmware

GNU/Linux is already ported for embedded devices, what we need is a
full and complete software stack to have rich mobile experiencing. And
this does not depends if it run in a virtual machine or in a physical
device.

The only problem may be in the case of a "bootloader open" device
where is possible to run vmware mobile. In this case developers may
prefer to not port the kernel and use a well tested kernel for the
virtual hardware. But... how many of that devices exists now?
While I suppose in the future we should see a lot of closed devices
but vmware capable.
These will attract a lot of Linux users that actually still do not buy
a freerunner due to it's cost and hardware/software limitation.

      Nicola