Opkg.org segfaulting packages

Joel Newkirk freerunner at newkirk.us
Sat Feb 28 06:12:27 CET 2009

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 11:59:04 +0200
"Risto H. Kurppa" <risto at kurppa.fi> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm using the opkg.org repository:
> echo "src/gz opkgorg http://www.opkg.org/packages"
> > /etc/opkg/opkg-feed.conf
>
> Trying to install the following apps using the repository cause the
> installation to segfault:
> liquidwar wireshark-common wireshark mokomaze pythm
>
> Installing from direct URL:s (opkg install http://...) works on some
> packages. There might also be some others, I'll report if I see any.
>
> Anyone know what's wrong and could the authors fix the packages?

Sorry, this thread got overlooked until I just ran a message search for
subject 'opkg'. :(

The problem seems to be happening in the script that creates the
Packages.gz file - several packages have nothing but filename and md5,
which doesn't seem right, but the problem-causers (like the
wireshark/tshark packages I contributed) seem to be problems parsing
the control file within the ipk.  Specifically, it doesn't seem capable
of ignoring empty lines at the end of the file, but rather appends them
to the last field.  In the case of the wireshark packages that field is
Source.  (in addition, somehow there's a stray 'T' on a line by itself
in the control file for wireshark - that was just my stupid error,
though I wouldn't have anticipated it would break the feed)

I'm fixing the wireshark packages to have no empty lines at the end of
the control file.

Odd.  After the hourly script run, wireshark package is missing from
the feed, though it still appears on the opkg.org site.  Will see what
happens.  Looking further, it seems that after I upload the new ipk, it
no longer lists the package link (its new opkg.org URL) under
'direct-download link' in the opk upload section, likely the reason
it's left out of the feed update.  I pasted the original data for
tshark back in and updated the prepended "0_", will see what happens at
midnight.  (It'd be nice if opkg.org could look up a named dependency
locally and fill in the link
- I had to edit the dependancies manually to reflect filename changes
when it prepended 0_ and 1_)

Also odd: I'd swear there was a package rating on Wireshark, but after
the correction it's back to 0.

Regardless, in all of this I decided to rebuild with the latest stable
Wireshark.  (the present opks at opkg.org are 1.0.99+svnr26030, 1.1.2
stable is available now, I'll stay out of svn this time)  Hopefully
I'll be able to build, test, and package it by the end of the weekend.

> I noticed some extra empty lines in
> http://www.opkg.org/packages/Packages - does it matter?

Yeah, in some instances the empty lines are clearly causing a
problem. ;)