[2008.12] Opkg.org repository packages that won't install

Joel Newkirk freerunner at newkirk.us
Sat Feb 28 06:20:01 CET 2009

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 11:58:26 +0200
"Risto H. Kurppa" <risto at kurppa.fi> wrote:

> Some packages in opkg.org are somewhat broken and won't install using
> the opkg.org repository in 2008.12. Could you please try this and let
> me know what happens. After this we could try to let the authors know
> what there's something wrong in their packages. If you are author of
> some of these packages please check that your package has all the
> required information.
>
> #adding repository & updating
> echo "src/gz opkgorg http://www.opkg.org/packages"
> > /etc/opkg/opkg-feed.conf opkg update
>
> #trying to install packages that are in opkg.org repository but return
> 'An error ocurred, return value: 2'
> opkg install centerim
> opkg install libboost-signals
> opkg install mokoconv
> opkg install neon
> opkg install shortom
> opkg install gpssight
> opkg install openmiaocat
> opkg install voicenote
>
> #these will segfault:
> opkg install liquidwar
> opkg install wireshark-common
> opkg install wireshark
> opkg install pythm
> #pythm requires many dependencies so this might also give you an
> dependency error instead
>
> #Also fbreader often fails :(
> opkg install \
> http://mikeasoft.com/~mike/openmoko/enca_1.9-r3_armv4t.ipk \
> http://www.mikeasoft.com/~mike/openmoko/fbreader_0.8.2a-r7+elleopatches_om-gta02.ipk
>
> fbreader also available on opkg.org and enca in
> http://downloads.freesmartphone.org/fso-testing/feeds/armv4t/enca_1.9-r3_armv4t.ipk
> but you get md5sum mismatches :/
>
> My results: http://pastebin.com/m27e0d226
>
> I want to use the repository instead of 'direct' opkg install http://
> adresses to be able to make Kustomizer work even if some packages are
> updated to a newer version and the filename changes. See
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Kustomizer
>
> Thanks!

Sorry, I overlooked your earlier related thread until I ran a message
search for subject 'opkg'. :(

Reading through Packages.gz, several packages have nothing but filename
and md5, which doesn't seem right.  It seems on closer examination that
those are all ones listed with the 'return value: 2' error. Likely the
error occurs because it in fact knows no package named, for example
"voicenote", only a package with a filename "voicenote_0.3_arm.ipk".
Those packages, manually downloaded, also fail to extract via "ar x"
with the error "invalid ar magic" - I smell a connection, where the
feed-building script cannot extract the archive to parse the control
file.  I'm unsure what the cause of the 'ar x' failure is.

The segfaulters (like the wireshark/tshark packages I contributed) seem
to be emerging when the hourly repo update script parses the control
file within the ipk. Specifically, it doesn't seem capable of ignoring
empty lines at the end of the file, but rather appends them to the last
field parsed. In the case of the wireshark packages that field is
Source.  (in addition, somehow there was a stray 'T' on a line by
itself in the control file for wireshark - that was just my stupid)

Liquidwar has "${SRC}\n" as the source, and pythm also has a blank line
embedded in the "source" field. So it seems the segfaults are packages
with spare newlines in the control file...   Does the official syntax
for the control file permit or prohibit newline-at-end?

I'm fixing the wireshark packages to have no empty lines at the end of
the control file. ;)

Odd.  After the hourly script run, wireshark package is missing from
the feed, though it still appears on the opkg.org site.  Will see what
happens.  Looking further, it seems that after I upload the new ipk, it
no longer lists the package link (its new opkg.org URL) under
'direct-download link' in the opk upload section, likely the reason
it's left out of the feed update.  I pasted the original data for
tshark back in and updated the prepended "0_", will see what happens at
midnight.  (It'd be nice if opkg.org could look up a named dependency
locally and fill in the link - I had to edit the dependancies manually
to reflect filename changes when it prepended 0_ and 1_)

UPDATE: Nope, it turns out it placed it near the top of the Packages.gz
file instead of alphabetically, and I missed it at first.

Also odd: I'd swear there was a package rating on Wireshark, but after
the correction it's showing 0.

Regardless, in all of this I decided to rebuild with the latest stable
Wireshark.  (the present opks at opkg.org are 1.0.99+svnr26030, 1.1.2
stable is available now, I'll stay out of svn this time)  Hopefully
I'll be able to build, test, and package it by the end of the weekend.

> I noticed some extra empty lines in
> http://www.opkg.org/packages/Packages - does it matter?

Yeah, in some instances the empty lines are clearly causing a
problem. ;)