Cellphone sizes

Stroller stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk
Fri Jan 2 00:27:53 CET 2009

On 1 Jan 2009, at 11:57, Ben Wilson wrote:

> Sean's comment that 3G modules are currently "too big" has got me
> thinking about cellphone sizes.
>
> Maybe it's just me but I don't really see the fascination with keeping
> phones small.
> I would be happy with a phone larger than GTA01/02. Something a bit
> smaller than a Sony PSP.
> Really the only size constraint i have is the size of my pockets,
> which
> are quite big :)

> However I guess a phone that size might not appeal to everybody?

I can really see the appeal of this larger form-factor (from those of
your comments which I have snipped) but mostly I want to keep my phone
in the pockets of my jeans. Mostly I do not want to wear more than
jeans, a t-shirt and maybe a cotton shirt of some kind which does not
have any pockets.

I can see the need for a jacket or bag if one takes public transport,
but usually I'm in my car these days, and the stuff I need with me
sits on the passenger seat or glove compartment. I shove my phone in
my jeans pocket when I get out of the car, and if I'm walking from my
house to a bar or nightclub then I already have to carry my wallet &
tobacco, which fill my back pockets. In that situation I don't really
want to pile too much stuff on the table in front of me, and a smaller
handset which sits in the front pocket of my Levis is just preferable.
For that one would not wish a unit larger than the Freerunner.

The PSP is a lovely games / video player, and if I took the train, bus
or tube I might well use one all the time. It is a great size for
that. But I started driving 3 or 4 years ago now, and have barely used
public transport since, so was recently very glad indeed to sell the
PSP I bought as an impulse purchase.

Stroller.