Car Charger?

Vasco Névoa vasco.nevoa at sapo.pt
Mon Jan 5 16:15:01 CET 2009

Citando Rui Miguel Silva Seabra <rms at 1407.org>:
> Shouldn't it have to be 2A ?
Why should it? If the FR can charge at 3 different rates (100, 500,
1000mA), any charger that can give 500 or 1000mA is good enough... it
all depends on how much time you want to wait for a charge... ;)

I tested it right now, and it does charge. The problem is that this
"Trust" car cigarette lighter USB charger does not have the "ID pin"
resistor [1].
Even when using a standard USB-to-miniUSB cable the FR recognizes the
charger as a 100mA "host" port (and charges at 100mA, which is not
good enough).
So I used the sysfs entries in [2] to force it to 500mA and 1000mA and
all went well - it can charge just fine, but has to be forced because
there is no auto detection.
So now I just install the usb charging control scripts in [2]... :)

[1] http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/USB_charger
[2] http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Forcing_fast_charge_mode

Happy hacking!
Vasco.